[pianotech] [CAUT] More Bohemia

Bernhard Stopper b98tu at t-online.de
Sat May 2 05:39:33 PDT 2009

Hello Richard,

i admire your knowledge and wit i am sure it is principally not
necessary to compete.
I am happy with my Tunic and my aural OnlyPure approach and
theoretical findings about my tuning, and you are happy with the way
you tune.

I am sure we could discuss our standpoints in a more relaxed manner.

There is abviously still a slight misunderstanding of the theoretical
basics about equal temperaments and what was presented in the Schulze
article.
Schulze defined a temperament based on the 31th root of six, which is
not equivalent to a 19th root of three temperament.

A quote from his article:

"Still more control can be gained by incorporating a different, albeit
compatible system of temperament: the equally tempered perfect
nineteenth. Assuming that an ideal tuning is one which contains the
most nearly coincidental partials, inharmonicity then becomes quite
convenient."

By using this equal temperament of a perfect nineteenth, he can
attempt to tune (many) twelfths and nineteenths on a pure 3/1 and 6/1
partial level (using the common known partial checks) and use them as
control intervals, due to inharmonicity.

This is slightly different from my own real world (piano) approach,
which results in twelfths that are slightly wider (accomplished
aurally with the twelfth spanner tool from my initial method, the
newer aural OnlyPure method or with my Tunic software) than on a
strict 3/1 partial level. In abscence of inharmonicity, my tuning is
based on an equal tempered duodecime (twelfth). This obviously caused
initially some irritations between us, but that should be no problem
anymore.

As Schulze explicitely introduced an equal temperament based on a
perfect nineteenth, i don´t see his article as a prior art of my
tuning approaches and theories.

Sincerely,

Bernhard Stopper