[pianotech] [CAUT] More Bohemia

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Sun May 3 13:00:09 PDT 2009

RicB writes:

"... the idea of using 12ths as a priority for tuning instead of
octaves. Theoretical justifications for why one should use the twelfth
may vary, but the central point remains the same...

Aural tuners relying on 12ths tests to help in setting octaves have
ended up in the same basic arena for years, perhaps without knowing it.

It's about using the 12th and not the octave as a tuning priority....
and why that ends up working, and what that exactly does to the overall
stretch of a piano in comparison to octave priorities."

Nick writes:

This about sums it up for me. The sound effect of bad 5ths or flat
sounding or noisy 12ths and related extensions grate on me much more so
than a tweaked octave and related extensions. Those are priorities that
have appealed to me for quite some time now.

Regardless of the apparent disagreements and (misunderstandings?), I
appreciate the expertise brought to this topic by Ric and Bernhard.

Nick Gravagne, RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Member Society Manufacturing Engineers
Voice Mail 928-476-4143