[pianotech] 1983 Bluthner with Renner action

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun May 3 17:50:57 PDT 2009

Hoooo boy. I'm not really the action guru - I mean I've done some radical
things to actions, but always only after quite a bit of head scratching!

Especially if you've replaced the action brackets (and I suppose even if
they were original), I would be sure I have a good action spread - that's
for sure. I'd want to look carefully at the relationship between the knuckle
core, the jack top and the window in the rep lever - if the jack is aligned
properly with the knuckle core, is there enough room in the window for the
jack to clear the knuckle without getting buried into the felt at the end of
the window? If that is too tight, it really won't matter what else you do
with blow, etc. If that is too tight, then I suppose you need to look at
knuckle placement, action spread, maybe even the design of the darn wippen
assembly.

That's where I'd start anyway.

Maybe someone else has some more experienced input......

Terry Farrell