[pianotech] Windows Vista- your comments?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon May 4 02:11:42 PDT 2009

Interesting that Dell would tell you that Vista is where the industry is
going when Microsoft themselves just announced the RC release of Vista's
replacement.  Windows7.  The internet abounds with information about XP,
Vista, and the new and 7th operating system.  Here's  two links...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/
http://blogs.computerworld.com/good_bye_xp_hello_windows_7

I'd strongly advise waiting to change from XP to anything at times of
transition like this.  XP was a very big success in the end for MS,
their most stable system to date by nearly all accounts. Why invest in
something <<new>> with all the transitions in getting used to the
system, getting things to work right, etc etc etc, when this <<new>>
thing is already on the way out ?

I suspect Dell is pushing Vista on you because they are under pressure
from MS to do so. I am on the other hand quite impressed with Dell that
do provide buyers with the option of using both XP, and Linux based
systems despite.

One thought... Linux has pretty much grown along its birth lines all
along, without morphing into a completely different system. As such it
projects a more predictable system. And it is much less subject to
attacks from hackers and virus's. Software available for Linux now is so
varied and diverse that there is no real argument there any more. And it
is much easier to install and administrate then in earlier years,
something those open source folks have been increasingly mindful off.
AND... exactly that its an open source developed system is to my mind of
thinking a very big plus.  I'm a real fan of the concept of knowledge
being a public domain thing, and not some privately owned thingy
companies can squeeze their fellow humans pocket books with.

Cheers
RicB

    List
    Thanks to all who responded with their 2 cents about which way to
    go. I was on the phone with Dell today for about an hour discussing
    different options. From a manufacturer's standpoint they were trying
    like the dickens to talk me out of XP. They kept on saying the Vista
    is where the industry is going. Why would you want to go back to
    something old. My response, because it worked well...
    Again, thanks to all who responded.
    Tom Servinsky