[pianotech] aurally pure tunings

Roy roy.peters at mindspring.com
Mon May 4 20:32:54 PDT 2009

Kent:
Is the display adjustable? The reason I ask is that I had the chance to try the OnlyPure software recently.  I did some work for someone who tunes his own piano. He had the software on his iPhone.  I was anxious to try it, but quickly put it away.  I found it to be overly sensitive. So much so that I thought that it was virtually unusable.  Maybe I could get use to it, but at that time I didn't want to take the time.  It was obvious that it was going to take me much longer to tune using OnlyPure.  Maybe this is what you are talking about in regards to developing your hammer technique?  The guy who owned the software isn't a tech, and he didn't seem to know much about the settings.

I'm not doubting that you can get nice tunings.  I have heard your recordings.  But I don't want to take two or three times as long on every tuning either.  Maybe there's just more of a learning curve than I was ready for in that situation.

Well, that was my initial impression.  I would like to have a chance to work with it further.

Regards,
Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio