[pianotech] Chickering grand rim/plate gap

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue May 5 05:45:06 PDT 2009

Yeah,,
Chickerings were different nearly every year.  Some ideas were good,
others horrible.  Hard pianos to rebuild if you don't know their original
intentions.  Don't know about the gap seeing the floor idea, however...

Paul

Chuck Behm <behmpiano at gmail.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
05/05/2009 07:14 AM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Chickering grand rim/plate gap

Andy - The gap between the plate and the rim in itself is entirely normal,
and is in fact necessary when installing the plate, since it is lowered
down into the piano. When the plate is too tight of a fit, it's hard not
to scratch the finish on the inside of the rim in the process of
installation.
What I haven't seen before when looking down is the floor. Other, more
experienced techs who replace soundboards on a regular basis would know
better, but I'm thinking that there's a separation problem here which
would need to be addressed.
Then again, in what I've seen with the Chickerings that have come through
our shop, I have come across other unusual designs. It always seemed to me
as if they must have done a lot of experimentation. Chuck