[pianotech] Smoke Damage Appraisal

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue May 5 10:51:04 PDT 2009

Greg

Just because the strings have not broken yet, doesn't mean they won't 10 years from now. But it's not just the broken strings. Insurance is supposed to pay to put the instrument back into as an original condition as possible. Without replacing the strings, there is still grit and soot under the strings and on the felts, which are also contaminated. Sooner or later, even if it's 15 year later, all that soot will do something to the piano. By then the insurance has been long settled, and the customer has to pay for the damage.

Wim