[pianotech] Hammer Line Issue

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu May 7 17:57:19 MDT 2009

Matthew
Good job.  As for the dithering hammers ( one of our English contributors used the term and I love it!) I think someone mentioned decreasing the tension on damper lever springs. This was for the Yamaha actions that have the problem that Matthew describes. Listees'  am I remembering that correctly?
 I'm also with  David  on no more than 1/8th  letoff combined with an increase in dip.With letoff more than 1/8th the hammer has to be thrown across too far a distance to allow soft play. The  increase in dip - aftertouch  will move the top of the jack away from the returning butt and help with the symptom.
I think Ron N. mentioned that there is a geometry problem with the Yamaha jack that leads to bobbling hammers on a soft blow. I wonder if the Kawai has the same issue. Again ,good job. I'll bet they were pleased with what you accomplished.
Tom D.

  Bring the letoff back to 1/8" and increase the dip so the hammer doesn't bounce off the jack.

  dp

  David M. Porritt, RPT

        I serviced the Kawai today.

        I adjusted the capstans, letoff and checking.  It went really well.  Although, when I was doing the letoff, I couldn't get the piano to do 1/8''.  When I did 1/8'', and then pressed the note pianissimo, it would double strike, so I did just a little bit more letoff and the issue resolved.

        Here is a bigger question.  After I finished, I played a Bach piece, and one thing I did notice was that it was somewhat difficult for me to play really soft.  Is there something more I need to do to obtain this?  Or, maybe to state it better, I could play "forte" and even "piano", but to obtain a "mezzo piano" was difficult.  What can I do that would help with the dynamics?

        Thanks again for all your help,

        TODD PIANO WORKS
        Matthew Todd, Piano Technician