[pianotech] (no subject)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat May 9 09:56:33 MDT 2009

Patrick Mackey wrote:
> Chuck and Julia and List,
> This brings up an issue I have been wondering about.  Is there any
> reason to think that leaving a piano a half-step flat is actually
> harmful?  It seems that any time I run across a piano that's been left
> flat, it is likely to have separated bass bridge/apron, ribs loose, long
> bridge cap unglued, etc.  I  am thinking mostly of uprights if that
> makes any difference.
> Also, I would like to be included in your photo list.
> Also this is my first posting, I've been enjoying the list form the
> sidelines for a while and so want to express my appreciation to everyone
> who contributes.
> Patrick Mackey

The piano is  a semitone (I dislike "half-step", because it's
essentially meaningless) or more flat because of either
neglect over a long time, or structural failure. Often, they
haven't been played in many years, and were stored in less
than ideal climates. If a bridge falls off a piano that nobody
ever plays, will it make a sound? Pianos in use and being
maintained either had these minor annoyances fixed as they
became a problem, or the piano was junked (donated to a
church) and replaced.

So it's not being a semitone flat that caused the damage.
Being a semitone flat means the piano hadn't been visited by
anyone that would notice the already existing damage in a long
enough time for it to have gone a semitone flat.

Or pitch sucking bridge splitting smoke emitting demons have
been through recently who, like the participants in the annual
Ninja Parade, passed undetected.
Ron N