[pianotech] sanding YC brackets

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sat May 9 13:45:16 MDT 2009

I am still waiting for YC to send me new brackets. The piano is strung, and I've hung a new set of h/s/f on the action, and more or less regulated it. The bass shanks are resting on the cusions, and there is no aftertouch. I tried putting the?action in the piano, but the bass hammers are about 3/16" too high.

So I got to thinking,?what would happen if I grind off?a 1/4"?from the feet?of the brackets? How would that effect the action? Would it basically solve the growing bracket problem, or has the action grown in other ways, too? I realize I would need to lower the capstans, and make other adjustments, but what about action spread, or other dimensions? Or do the brackets continue to grow, and I'll have to keep grinding the brackets down?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943