[pianotech] Whippen storage

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Tue May 12 06:10:05 MDT 2009

Check this one out Matthew.  We discussed a little bit what tool boxes we
carry.
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1193907/Tuner%20Tool%2
0Cases.html#Post1193907

I drive a Cadilac used and paid for - and put into one container all of the
lubricants.  I learned the hard way not to put anything on top of the
lubricates when I noticed a nasty smell in my car while I was driving as one
of my cans emptied itself from a drill that had been placed in the same
container.  PEWWEEEWWEE!..

I carry another large rubber maid container for my drills, drill bits,
cordless flashlight, sand paper, humidifier pads and treatment fluid and
junk like that.  And yet another for piano parts that I have separated by
using several smaller fishing type containers that you can pick up at Lowes
or elsewhere, you know,they flip open, are small, fit a hand full of jack
springs, brass flanges, screws etc.  They have dividers in them and seal up
so the stuff won't "sneak" out when it is closed or tipped by accident.  I
have several of these one for paper punchings of various sizes.  I place
them in order of what I use most to what I use least. I have one box with
things of flanges, various sizes, hammer shanks, NO wippens, but, jack
springs and other stuff like that.

Tuning tools are carried in a separate box or two with re-pinning junk,
strings in another.  My trunk is full of crap but, I take along only what I
use most often.  The rest stays in my shop.  I carry into the home my tuning
stuff only.  I travel about 30 miles one way at most usually.  I charge more
for traveling time too.  But, mostly, it is in town traveling or very close
to it.

Jerry Groot RPT