[pianotech] (no subject)

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Tue May 12 13:04:08 MDT 2009

For me, that is my fine line.  438-442.  If I'm tuning a piano twice per
year, say, October and April, (I'd like to point out that it all depends on
the piano, where it is and what they are using it for) then, if it is 442 in
October, I might float it there because by mid November, it'll  be on 440
due to the drop in humidity here.  However, if it is in an auditorium, or
something similar, I will raise or lower it to A/440.

In April, It will probably be around 438 or so (usually) and I might float
it there too, if it isn't any flatter than that. Because by June or so,
it'll be on 440 again.  If it's off by much more than that, I won't float
it.  If it's a yearly tuning, it'll be on A/440 each year or very close to
it.

Many times, like I said, depending on the church, location, or the piano's,
I will raise and lower them all to A/440 every time I tune it whether it be
monthly, bi-monthly or semi-annually. I'd say, probably 95 % of the time I
put them on 440.

If it's a concert tuning then, of course, it is always on A/440.

If it is 436, 437, or less, I always raise pitch.  I do not believe that it
is good for any piano to just leave them flat for long periods of time.  If
it is more than 442, then I lower it.  It doesn't me any longer.  I rip it
up to pitch and tune it.  :-)