[pianotech] somewhat OT -- step vs. tone

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 13 08:00:48 MDT 2009

David Nereson wrote:
> <<The piano is  a semitone (I dislike "half-step", because it's
> essentially meaningless) >>
>
>    Yes, but in the world of musicians, the terms "whole step,"
> "half-step," "quarter-step" are used interchangeably with "whole tone,"
> "half-tone," "quarter-tone."

That's likely my problem with it. I'm a mechanic, not a
musician. So musically, is the interval B-C, and E-F also a
half step? It doesn't come up much for me with musicians, it's
mostly with other techs discussing pitch. A half step low
could mean either 50 cents, or 100 cents, depending on the
tech, and requires backtracking to clear up. No one seems to
be confused by semitone, either customer or tech. Why not just
go with cents? Customers don't understand cents.

The ideal is, for me at least, to find some simple nearly
universally accepted and reasonably meaningful nomenclature
that imparts information with as little wasted time,
discussion, and unnecessary esoterica as possible.
Ron N