[pianotech] Key pins

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Thu May 14 17:35:40 MDT 2009

The two most common front pin dimensions are 3.5 and 3.7 mm. Most of
the manufacturers outside of the US use 3.5 mm, which can be
convenient when reconditioning a keyboard with damaged mortices. It
often works out well to repair them using the 3.7 pins while resizing
the key mortices to suit the bigger pin.

Of course, if you're a genuine-part junkie then you'll have no option
but to use the original size pins.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation has been totally hoodwinked
by the local Steinway representative. A clause of my renewal contract
for servicing the ABC pianos this year stated that we can only use
genuine Steinway parts. The fact that I can source parts from the
same company that Steinway use for the supply of their so-called
genuine parts fell on deaf ears. So it looks very much like the ABC
will be paying premium prices for genuine parts which are in some
cases the identical part to our stock items in many cases.

Just yesterday I was speaking with a local technician who sourced
agraffes from the Steinway representative. The parts supplied were
intended to have the thread form of 7/32" by 36 tpi. Many of you will
have experienced some of the contemporary agraffes which are alleged
to be of this thread size, but are undersized. When the local
technician complained to the Steinway rep' about the undersized
agraffes, the representative is alleged to have said that he had
another source from which he could order the parts. What is
particularly interesting about this alleged response from the local
S&S rep' is that this was the same person who was complaining ad
nauseam to the ABC about me using non-genuine parts when rebuilding
Steinway pianos. Do I detect something of a double standard here?

There's no doubt in my mind as to the lack of credibility of the
genuine parts argument, unless of course you happen to be on the
Steinway gravy train.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY