[pianotech] Upright Tilter

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri May 15 07:11:32 MDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> John Formsma wrote:
>
>  Isn't that pretty intuitive in the use of a tilter? I've used my tilter
>> maybe some 10+ times, and have always HAD to do this, just by being careful
>> when tipping it up.  If one goes slow, it seems this is an automatic thing
>> rather than something you have to focus on intentionally.
>>

> There's that word again, John. Nothing is intuitive for someone to whom it
> isn't obvious. "Intuitive" works backward 100%, but not so dependably the
> other way. I've always done what Ed described too, and haven't dumped one of
> the hundreds I've tilted yet, but there's still time.

Well, I guess that's a point taken.  I get really "intuitive", though, when
I think about something weighing several hundred pounds falling upon my
person. <G>  Ergo, doing everything to keep one's body from being crushed
necessitates keeping one's body more situated behind the tilter ... almost
forcing one to keep the "toes" of the tilter forced up against the bottom
board as the piano is raised.

> I've never used the straps either, but Murphy says it's probably not a bad
> idea. Necessary at the bottom only.
> Ron N

Yes, that would be intuitive. <G>

--