[pianotech] Upright Action Geometry

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Mon May 18 09:05:52 MDT 2009

List,

I'm assembling an vertical action model as described in the Journal several
months ago.  I neglected to take one measurement when I was disassembling
the piano from which I got my parts.  What should be the angle relationship
between the hammershank and the string plane when the hammer is in its
striking position?  I've found an article by Jack Krefting in the '82
Journal that states that in a grand the two should be parallel.  Is this
also true for the vertical action?  Does having the answer to this question
represent a method for establishing bore distance in an action where the
hammers are so badly worn that the original bore distance is uncertain?

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter