[pianotech] Brass Inlay Repair on S & S Former Concert Grand

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed May 20 13:40:58 MDT 2009

Hi, Tom:
	The brass inlay is laid down after a small amount of finish is
applied.  Then, many coats of finish are applied over it.  After drying, the
finish over the lettering is sanded to reveal the brass.
	Once the brass is bent, it's pretty hard to make it lay down again.
It will be difficult to repair, but you could try removing the old one and
gluing a new one in its place.
	If that doesn't work out, you may have to refinish the area, and
install a new brass inlay.  I guess you are working on the case, not the
fallboard, which would be a lot easier to refinish.

	Good luck.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego