[pianotech] Steinway A Bass String Rescaling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun May 24 11:51:19 MDT 2009

Porritt, David wrote:
> David:
>
> I'm going to make a little change this summer on a piano
> and I'm very much a beginning student in this area.  I
> understand most of the factors you're talking about but I'm
> not sure what difference I am going to hear with a change
> of Z.  'splain please!
>
> dave

Loudness, or perceived volume, power, etc, etc. Like
inharmonicity, it's more a comparative value than an absolute,
and is most valuable at scale breaks. The thing with scaling
formulae, is that they are reference guidelines, like road
maps. Not only don't they take soundboard response (which is a
factor) into account, they aren't a high accuracy
representation of much of anything else either (also like road
maps). Tension is the most dependable of the calculations, but
since it's calculated from theoretical Hz rather than Hz
fitting inharmonicity into the tuning, it's inaccurate as
well. Steve Fairchild developed an iterative spreadsheet years
back that, using scaling formulas and string measurements,
adjusted Hz to accommodate inharmonicity, and recalculated the
formulas until it stabilized. In other words, it calculated
the tuning from the physical dimensions of the strings. Pretty
cool. This would produce more accurate scaling results, but
it's a few decimal places beyond what we can hear for scaling
purposes, so it's probably not really worth pursuing for that.
I'd love to get a copy of it to play with though, for my own
amazement. For string scaling, what we have is quite adequate,
in practical terms of what we hear compared to what it shows
us, though a rational approach to faking in soundboard
response for the Z would be nice.

So like everything else, it depends... sort of. Lots of
judgment calls go with the numbers.
Ron N