[pianotech] Repairing bridge root lamination splits

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun May 24 14:23:12 MDT 2009

To the list:

Enclosed is a picture of the root of the treble bridge for the 1909 Steinway
A2 in my shop that I am rebuilding.  I'm almost ready to glue on the bridge
caps to the root.  As you can see in the picture, I have plugged the bridge
pin holes with the small dowels that you get from Pianotek.  But you can
also see that in the high treble on the backside, the laminations have split
for about 5 or 6 unisons.  I am not satisfied that the plugs I inserted
there are going to give the bridge and pins the integrity they need, so I am
searching for a plan B to fill the offending space.

My thought is to cut some plugs out of bridge stock and glue them in.  The
idea would be to make the plugs slightly larger than the three pin holes,
drill the holes, and epoxy them in.

Before I do that, I would be interested in the suggestions of others as to
their go-to methodology.

Will Truitt