[pianotech] Removing a Steinway Pinblock

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun May 24 18:09:11 MDT 2009

William Monroe wrote:
> I should add that if you use alcohol and water, I found that it was best
> to have something else to do.  Apply and re-apply and let it work for
> some time to get things started.  When it works well, it comes off
> clean, leaving just glue residue.  My last one (see the previous photos)
> came out clean other than the cracked section which had to be cut.  All
> in all, Alcohol/Water seems like the most elegant solution to me,
> though, with my methods, the recip saw seems to be fastest in the end.
> One other nice advantage of Alcohol/Water is that you have a pretty fine
> template if it comes out clean.  ;-]
>
> William R. Monroe

I found alcohol works about as well, and about as badly as
anything else I've tried. I still have to drill out the end
dowels, but I can be doing something else more useful while
the soaking/wedging progresses. I do hate the smell of the
stuff though.

Now, why are you guys still wasting all that time pulling all
those tuning pins?
Ron N