[pianotech] Steinway A Bass Rescaling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 26 10:21:57 MDT 2009

Bruce Dornfeld wrote:

> I find it fascinating how the ideas and formulae for inharmonicity have
> developed.  I don’t believe that the concept of inharmonicity is
> mentioned in tuning texts until sometime after the development of
> electronic tuning devices.  Stretching octaves maybe, but not
> inharmonicity.  Wasn’t the use of early ETDs what lead to the
> measurement and discovery of inharmonicity?

Yes, I think that's right. Looking at existing scales, it
appears to me that they were primarily concerned with break%,
which seems to be favored over tension. A Z calculation
doesn't seem to have been available for consideration either.

> On a more practical line, we know that longer unwound portions on a bass
> string create more inharmonicity.  I find that most German grands have
> the windings come real close to the bridges and agraffes.  It has always
> struck me as something that was done to show a certain virtuosity on the
> string maker’s part.  It also creates lower inharmonicity in the bass of
> these pianos which is usually a very good thing.  There are some
> however, where the transition to the plain wire strings is too abrupt
> and perhaps the last wound strings should have had longer unwound
> portions.  I observed this quality of bass strings in a Hamburg Steinway
> O that I serviced last week.

If you'll play with the inharmonicity calculation some, you'll
find that a little difference in the bare end and step length
makes very little difference in Inh. It's saner and safer to
keep a standard length and design a bridge layout and scale
that works with that.
Ron N