[pianotech] Profelt for loose centres?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed May 27 10:03:58 MDT 2009

I tried it too on centers.  I found the same result as Jim. ...some got
worse!  Haven't tried it on hammer voicing.  I suppose it works about the
same as the Downey Softener trick.  Too much...and the hammers turn into
nerf-balls!! (as one student called it on a practice room grand that I was
"practicing" on)

PW

Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
05/27/2009 10:44 AM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

"pianotech at ptg.org" <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Profelt for loose centres?

We've now tried it dozens of times for centers and we DON'T recommend it
for centers. Not only does it NOT tighten, in some cases it made them
looser. Surprizingly, we use it to voice hammers. A small drop in the
groove does it. Experiment with it and you'll see. Works great on key
bushings too.

Here's a trick to get a "small" drop; using a small needled bottle, point
the needle down and let 5 or so "sacrificial" drops leak out on a rag,
etc. Now, keep the bottle pointing downward and you'll see that the fluid
is held up by the vacuum created. A very tiny drop will now flow, until
after a while the suction is too great and you need to tip and start
again, or just squeeeze out the size drop you need. It's very easy, fast
really.

Jim Busby RPT