[pianotech] The Z-Bar

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Fri May 29 13:20:53 MDT 2009

The Z-Bar® is Fandrich Piano Company's trade name for the curved bar seen on the
right of this drawing. It is fastened securely to the back assembly at the
treble end (just under the top ribs) and becomes increasingly more flexible
until it terminates under (behind) the upper end of the bass bridge.

I coined the name Z-Bar® because it is essentially a mechanical impedance
controlling, or matching device blending the treble, tenor and bass sections of
the vertical piano.

Simplistically it is the mechanical equivalent to the electrical crossover
network found in loudspeaker systems.

ddf