[pianotech] key ends and damper timing

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sun May 31 16:02:46 MDT 2009

Hello list,
After leveling keys and setting dip accurately and doing some regulation I went to the key ends to begin the process of taking location marks for a new back action.
Striped off the old key end felt and found that the key ends of the sharps are less in elevation from the key bed than the naturals. Did not notice this before striping off the key end felt but was not really paying attention and the felt was badly worn anyway.
At full key dip they become much closer to equal elevation from the key bed - that is in the bass. As the keys get shorter in the tenor and high tenor sections the key ends are much closer together at rest and the sharp will lift higher in elevation than the naturals.
The factory must have done this??
The question is - what is the best option for damper timing.
1: I could fully dip all keys and trim the key ends so that they are all the same elevation from the keyed. This will allow a nice unstop rail adjustment.
The down side is that the damper lift levers will have different lost motion with the key ends.
Appears to me that if the sharps pick up the lift lever slightly different than the naturals it may not be so noticeable if it was consistent.
2: I could leave it the way it is and the damper levers will generally get picked up at around half key travel but sharps and naturals at full key dip will have their dampers at different elevations making the unstop rail higher than desired.
Someone at the factory had something in mind and I am missing it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Gene