[pianotech] Repairing Bridge

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun May 31 20:10:56 MDT 2009

David Said: "
Sounds good but I would probably not try and make a pattern from that old
cap. Just lay it out from scratch. Not hard."

Having capped several hundred bridges in the last 35+ years, I consider that to be bad advice to someone who is attempting their first bridge recap. If one is well versed in bridges, etc. it is fine and can be implimented w/o a pattern. However, that is not the case. A rubbing is adviseable. Use the pencil point to locate all of the bridge pin holes, even on the cracked side this is possible. I usually tape the butcher paper to the bridge while I'm doing the rubbing. W/O a pattern of some sort, all kinds of errors can happen. DAMHIK! The idea is to replicate the original bridge, but hopefully improve on it, if possible. Most Uprights had really crappy wood used in the bass bridges. Why? I have no idea, but such is the case.
As for the Airplane Plywood, you could google a search and will come up with a whole bucket  of sources. Most Aircraft plywood is made of maple with a poplar core. This is more than adequate for recapping. Using delignet is overkill in my opinion. And, it is harder to work with than the Aircraft ply.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I