[pianotech] A better tip wrench that you already have!

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 09:57:15 MDT 2010

How could one tip fit all? I find I like a #1 tip for most older uprights
and some Steinways. A number 2 works for most pianos, and I like to have a
number 3 for pianos that have been restrung with oversize pins. Sometimes I
like the number 3 for pitch raises because it goes on the pins more quickly.

When I first started out I used a #2 tip for everything. About 10 years ago
I started getting pickier about the fit of the tip on the pin. Especially
with the Levitan lever. The extra rigidity gives great feedback making the
fit seem even more noticeable.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter