[pianotech] Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Apr 2 13:18:34 MDT 2010

Hi Wim,

This may be the way we've been explaining it for eons, but this theory is certainly in question.  Read Ron N.'s article in the April 2006 Journal which speaks directly to this.  More, I believe it was Ric Brekne who wrote an article some time back which addressed the concept of pitch change due to soundboard crown increasing.  When he isolated the one variable of rise and fall of the soundboard, it was pretty quickly apparent that the amount of soundboard rise required to affect a significant pitch change was absurdly large.  The math just doesn't support the theory that soundboard rise and fall is responsible for major pitch changes.  It is involved to be sure, but is likely not even the major factor.  Lot's to chew on, and I apologize in advance if I've referenced the wrong author.

William R. Monroe

For some reason, somehow, I missed these articles. As you say, it is a theory and in no way am I going to debate this theory. But so that I can be correct in what I have on my website, how would you describe what's going on. in layman's terms.

Wim