[pianotech] FW: re: Rebushing keys, was ...VS Profelt

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 14:38:45 MDT 2010

I know what you mean about the single shouldered cauls. I finally bought
some double shouldered final cauls form Bill Spurlock. They don't lean to
the side as much as the single shouldered cauls.

The other thing about keybushing that I don't here discussed much is how to
make the balance rail snug enough. If you leave regular cauls in until they
are completely dry they will be way too loose for my taste. I actually
ordered a set of cauls from BiIl that are not oversized (the regular cauls
are .148"). Even so, I remove the cauls after about 15 minutes so they can
swell slightly. Otherwise they are too loose. A snug balance rail bushing
rarely causes a sticky key, and it will correct a lot of key squaring issues
making key leveling easier an quicker.

Lastly, we are pretty careful in our felt selection in order to get the
proper fit. Sometimes we use one size on one side of the mortise and a
slightly larger or smaller size on the other side to get the ideal fit. We
also order strips occasionally from Renner or Pianotek. The size varies
depending on the batch and we like having a good variety of sizes.

I find a spring loaded thickness guage like the Mitutoyo the Pianotek sells
for $125 is extremely helpful for sorting bushing felt (and all sorts of
other cloths and punchings, etc.)

 There's one available at Amazon for $40 + shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/POCKET-THICKNESS-GAUGE-Accuracy-0-001/dp/B000IB9YV2

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter