[pianotech] Grey market pianos.....etc.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 17:53:59 MDT 2010

Ryan said:
"A nominal pitch raise can easily add 1500 pounds of tension to the structure
of a piano. I'm not guessing how much or in which ways the structure moves
around, but we certainly know that it does."

Ryan,
The first statement is NOT true! Of course, you're idea of a "nominal pitch raise" and mine can be worlds apart. If you were raising pitch, on a modern piano, from A=435cps to A=440cps, you would add a little more than 500 pounds overall tension. That I would consider, a "nominal pitch raise".
As for the structure moving, that is an established fact, that can be proven time after time. How it moves is a whole nuther thang.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I