[pianotech] Pitch Change (was: Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.)

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Apr 2 17:12:41 MDT 2010

>But for now, It ain't the soundboard rising and falling that's
>changing the string tensions enough to produce the tuning
>changes we see seasonally. There is still a lot pending.

Case in point:
9' Chickering grand tuned 2 weeks ago. It rained twice since then.
Once for 6 days and then for 7 days.

I check it out yesterday to address a sympathetic vibration and found
the the 5th octave a bit sharp.

Starting just below the first strut, 2 cents sharp, and beyond the strut 4+;
diminishing for an octave.

That octave encompassing the strut went sharp with high humidity.

I think it's time to include a DC dehumidification sys.  But it would need
to be installed between the beams. Many of my customers would like
the drying aspect but do not want items hanging below the piano.

The reasons why I do not promote the humidifying aspect (in my area)
would need to be addressed in a different thread.
--

Regards,

Jon Page