[pianotech] Pitch Change (was: Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.)

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 3 07:34:23 MDT 2010

My response is posted to everyone not just those people here I picked to hit
the reply button on.

I am reading so many responses that are saying "I do not know the causes of
why the piano goes out of tune and then I read BUT, that word but seems to
come into play a lot.  But, I do not THINK it is the sounding board etc...
If you do not know and if you do not think you know, how can it quantify an
answer that seems to be more of a guess than an answer to the question?  If
I am reading it in this manner then others must be as well.

As we all know, places like Michigan have severe weather fluctuations all
year long.  There is no real constant level of humidity here. Pianos are
changing tuning here all of the time.

Again, as most of us know, pianos do not lose the humidity that they
acquired and retained from the summer months over night.  It takes time.
Nor, does the piano suck in moisture over night as the humidity begins to
increase again.  The wood of the entire piano will be absorbing humidity for
the whole time the humidity levels are higher than the humidity content of
the wood itself and it will be very slowly letting this same humidity out
again, until the humidity levels begin to increase during the next seasonal
change.

It is during these time periods that the piano is ever so slowly changing
tuning and changing pitch.  I believe the entire piano is subject to these
changes as about 75% (give or take) of the piano is made out of wood.  I
also believe and was taught that the sounding board which is the largest and
only area of the piano to come into contact with the bridges and therefore,
the strings, is the main culprit for these severe changes of tuning and
pitch.  The sound board and then consequently, the bridges and then of
course, the strings, are expanding and contracting continually with the
constant weather and humidity changes.  It makes these changes most in the
center of the piano which is why that part of the piano always sounds the
worst.

The bass section of the piano changes the least.  Why?  Because the bass
bridge is located the furthest away from the center of the sound board on
the piano.  The same reasoning applies to the highest notes of the treble
section.  The treble bridge is located way over to the right, away from the
center of the piano where it changes less.

So, I believe then, because of these changes, that the middle of the piano
is forcing the increase in tension and pitch making the piano go 1/4 + tone
sharp during the summer months and 1/4 + tone flat during our winter months.
A - 1/2 tone difference.  Now on the other hand, if we keep the climate the
same, the tuning and pitch changes very little.

Therefore, I submit to you, what else could it be other than humidity
changes and the sounding board flexing, forcing these expansions and
contractions onto the bridges and therefore, onto the strings themselves.

another factor for consideration.  During this expansion, it forces strings
upward onto the bridge pins which is why they must at some point, be gently
tapped back down again.  I do not believe this little bit of difference of
the strings being up on the bridges make that much of a difference in pitch
but, they do make a large difference in tonal quality and false strings but,
that is a different matter.

While there are other factors involved too such as heat, the harp expanding,
strings expanding from heat and other things, those are not the focus of my
attention at this time.

What are your thoughts on this?

Jer