[pianotech] regulation problem

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 08:39:32 MDT 2010

This brings up an interesting point which I have been considering lately.

I've dealt with this action, and in order to deal with the high
leverages, I completely redesigned everything; rail locations, stack
placement and angle, balance rail x&y location.  It worked  well, but I
am beginning to think about it differently.  All the changes to
"correct" leverage were imposed by weights of modern hammers.

As I'm thinking about it now, this action and its "inappropriate"
leverage was designed with a light soft hammer  in mind.  As evidence of
high leverage by design and not by mistake, I would point to the ebony
on the #'s being shy of 1/2", more like 7/16", indicating less dip than
is considered normal now.

The solution to your problem might be to go back to the original knuckle
placement and play with the lightest softest hammers you can muster,
maybe even excavating the felt as Ed McMorrow does in his "Lighthammer"
technique.

The sound of the instrument, ie the interaction of action
leverage/hammer weight/board response is harder to talk about, because
the boards on these instruments are toast. Its hard to know what the
original board response might have been.  The one I dealt with was a 20
year old compression board which was also toast, 0-neg bearing, no
crown, so no help there.  But I do know on the 20 yr old dead
board/action redesign, the Ronsen Wurzens I chose had to be voiced way
down....very serious cushion to start, then I just completed a steam
treatment which was a major improvement;  successful as this board will
allow I think.(very happy customer too)

If your board is original and most likely dead, I would think dead is
dead whether its 120yrs or 20yrs. How about trying the original knuckle,
with Ronsen Bacons, no staple, excavated a bit to reduce their weights
to achieve acceptable touchweights?

This brings to mind my question....does anyone have any  hammer or
strike weight data  from  the original shanks/hammers on these
pre-1910ish(?) action/belly systems?

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio