[pianotech] Pinblock expensive experiment

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 4 16:52:19 MDT 2010

Duane McGuire wrote:
> But rather than just reacting to my own self-pity, I'd appreciate your
> input, before my wallet gets even thinner.   In the category of self
> recrimination, I expect that I should have measured the bow in that
> multi-lam and shipped it back when I found the degree of deflection that
> was present.
>
> Thoughts?

In 35 or whatever years in business, I've never sent back a
warped block. They're a nuisance to fit, but I never had one
that wouldn't screw down - or up - to the plate. 10mm! That's
a fair bend. First, I'd see what it took to clamp it to the
plate. Once it's cut out, it'll be narrower and easier to
conform. Then, if I was still worried about it, I'd slice it
down the middle and re-glue it with either epoxy or Unibond
800. In any case, wood is more flexible than cast iron, and
will conform. I really don't think you're in as much trouble
as you think.
Ron N