[pianotech] Articles on Schaff website

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 06:13:37 MDT 2010

>Chuck (or some other wise guru),
How about an in depth article on rebuilding a brass rail upright action such
as the I&P being discussed on a separate thread? Photos & tips for
annealing, modifying the brass clips to fit properly (or has Schaff improved
on previous batches?), etc. Also a review of the brass rail replacements
from Schaff would be helpful.
I know, you were just waiting for me to drop a project on your lap!
Parick Draine<

Patrick - This would be a great idea for an article. I'll add it to my to-do
list.  I don't have any brass rail work in the shop at the moment, but the
next time I do, I'll take the shots I need to do a write up. Actually,
several articles could evolve from this.

Having the photographs to work with is always the key. For a lot of things I
would like to write about, I need to bring the appropriate work into the
shop to shoot the photos of.

By the way, for any of you who have thought of doing a bit of writing
yourself (and the writing is great fun), start now taking pictures of what
you do. And not just casual snapshots, but detailed pictures of each step of
the process you use. If you have the pictures, the writing is the easy part.
What's frustrating is when you are missing a key shot that you just forgot
to take, or that didn't turn out.

Digital photography is great, in that you can take scads of shots, then sift
through to find the best one. Chuck