[pianotech] Pitch change, etc.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 6 10:43:59 MDT 2010

Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Ron N said: "We getit, it's just not informative."
>
> Ron,
> What's with the "We"?? Got a frog in your pocket er sumpin'? Please
> INFORM me why the fact that the whole piano is moving is not
> informative?? Most techs do not visulize this concept, IMO. I'm sure, in
> your infinate wisdom, that YOU get it. Because of this, I was not,
> specifically, addressing your majesty.
> Just a thought.

Joe,
I thought it's been pretty apparent all along that everything
made of wood moves with humidity changes. Maybe not, but it
should be. Why would a piano be any different? Some of us are
interested in another level of specifics for educational
purposes.  For instance, I've noticed, and it's been mentioned
by others, that my RC&S rebuilds with epoxy laminated bridge
caps stay in tune better than everything around them. They're
still made of wood, and everything is moving in them too, yet
the tuning stability is better. I'd like to know why, and what
else can be done to make them even more stable. That would
require some basic understanding of what is happening in the
other pianos, that isn't happening to the same degree in mine.
Just saying "everything moves" and stepping back doesn't
further that understanding. Ignorance can be a nice safe
comfortable cave, or a poke in the butt that gets you out
there turning over the rocks looking for answers. Ignorance
(my own) is precisely why I look for reasons for why things do
what they do. There will always be more questions than
answers, but blanket dismissal of what is obviously a complex
system doesn't turn on any lights in my house.

And you can keep the "your majesty" crack. It seems I have a
lot more questions without answers than you do.

Yours in ignorance,
Ron N