[pianotech] Pitch change, etc.

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 12:56:37 MDT 2010

>Chuck,
Nope. You are forgetting: EVERYTHING is moving.<G> I'm not advocating
measuring from above or below. Whatever, gets the job done. (Get Er Dun!)<G>
joe<

I can buy that idea to a degree, but from a practical standpoint the amount
of movement of the soundboard, which is intended to move up and down and is
built as such, is bound to be vastly different than any up and down movement
of the rim, which is intended to be more rigid, and is built as such.

To test the idea that an increase in the crown of the soundboard would
result in a appreciable increase in pitch, jacking up the soundboard up from
underneath until it had moved relative to the upper edge of the rim by a
measurable amount would seem to be one way to test it. Sure, other
components could be moving as well, but if the pitch shoots up 10 or 15
cents when the crown is increased by a mm, there is obviously something
going on that is significant.

If the pitch doesn't go up one iota, than it seems likely that the cause
comes from something else.

Interesting discussion, at any rate. Chuck