[pianotech] Pitch change, etc.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 6 16:39:26 MDT 2010

William Truitt wrote:
> I find the idea of the epoxy laminated caps very interesting, in part
> because of the difficulty in consistently getting good hard rock maple
> bridge stock.  I can't speak to the tuning stability, but it would seem
> likely that the epoxy saturation would form a vapor barrier throughout the
> wood, thereby negating the effects of humidity on the cap and any movement
> of the wood associated with that.

That's it. You're making a fiber reinforced plastic. Hard,
tough, stable, notch resistant. <G>

> I had wanted to roll my own epoxy laminated bridge caps for my last rebuild,
> but was unable to find a supplier for the veneers required to make up the
> pieces.  I did chase one idiot supplier for 6 weeks, but could not get him
> to send me the veneers before I gave up on him.
>
> Any recommendations for a supplier, anyone?  I'm starting a B in a month or
> so that will get a new board and caps.

I get mine from Herzog. Their website
http://www.veneeronline.com is flaky as it can be, but you can
eventually find pictures of veneer bundles, 24 sheets to a
bundle. I flip-flop and alternate 8 sheets (to get whatever
minor cross grain angle I can), so I have three batches per
order. Or just give them a call and describe what you want.
They're real nice folks.
Ron N