[pianotech] Pitch change, etc.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Apr 7 18:32:30 MDT 2010

jimialeggio wrote:
> I think it would be useful to try and determine if there is any
> advantage of  the various maple epoxy laminations over a delignit cap.
>
> Do we have any data on this?

Not directly, but Delignit ought to make a first rate cap. The
stuff sold by Delignit for bridge capping is, I think, not
hard and dense enough. It's a little over 70% the density of
the pinblock stock, and noticeably less hard. The only real
benefits I see to epoxy/veneer laminations over Delignit
pinblock stock are that it looks less like plywood because of
the grain direction of the laminations, and it's less abrasive
to edged tools when you notch.

If you want to try a pinblock grade Delignit cap, I have 9mm
material.
Ron N