[pianotech] Pinblock expensive experiment

Duane McGuire pianoman at duanemcguire.com
Wed Apr 7 21:20:35 MDT 2010

There's folks here with direct experience here.    But to answer the
question, yes.  I think its a fine idea.  I worked in a pipe organ shop for
3 years, and there we used vacuum clamping for toe boards and for the tops
and bottoms of windchests.  It is a great way to go, especially for wide
pieces of work.  (The windchests were about one meter wide) Setup can be a
little fussy.   In the organ shop we protected all the corners and edges
with plush carpet, so that when the work came out of the vacuum, the corners
and edges were not crushed.

But I already have clamps, and I've been spending money on tools at an
astonishing rate!   For the next one I'll fabricate thick, flat  top and
bottom clamping boards.  They'll be constructed as "torsion boxes" and I'll
clamp with those.

--
Duane McGuire
801-830-5858