[pianotech] Pinblock expensive experiment

Duane McGuire pianoman at duanemcguire.com
Wed Apr 7 21:36:48 MDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:19 AM, John Alsina <jalsina at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Duane:  Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I like your adjustable height workbench.  Where did you get the scissors lift mechanism?  Does it provide solid support, or does the table wiggle?  Thanks.  J

Jim Moy commented that I had documented the adjustable height assembly
table on my blog (thanks for the visit to the blog, Jim!)  The
scissors lift is taken from a cart sold by Harbor Freight.

http://blog.duanemcguire.com/2009/10/31/adjustable-height-workbench-assembly-table/

After building it, I had some conversion with others on a woodworker's
forum.  So to answer your question in complete detail, John, here's
that prior conversation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gibson
When I assemble, I do lots of hammering but not "heavy". I put small
items together with finish nails in pilot holes so I don't have to
beat it to death. Would this table handle that kind of hammering?

My response:
When this table is at a 40" work height, and I give a solid horizontal
shove to one corner, the table top moves about 10 mm. This is due to
the play in the scissors jack mechanism. With some fussing, this play
could be reduced, but by the nature of the mechanism, it will not be
eliminated. I've thought that a nylon strip insert in the wheel ways
at that top of the scissors jack would limit the play and still
provide a smooth action. But that detail will probably not be
implemented. It is going to be great, just the way it is.

By the way, vertically, at the left side (fixed side of the jack),
more than 150 pounds of downward force is required to get any jiggle
in the mechanism. At the right side (free side of the mechanism)
somewhat less than 50 pounds of downward force will jiggle the
mechanism. All of this is academic, though. With a normal balanced
load (workpiece) this adjustable table is going to do its job like a
dream. (Even though I'm analytical, I'm excited!)

--
Duane McGuire
801-830-5858