[pianotech] Pinblock expensive experiment

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Wed Apr 7 23:16:02 MDT 2010

> From: Duane McGuire <pianoman at duanemcguire.com>
> Date: April 7, 2010 11:07:32 PM EDT
>
> Well, the clamps came off this evening and the reconstituted pinblock is dead flat within 0.4 mm.

Great!  Now you can begin your lifelong quest to find a plate which has the underside of its webbing dead flat within 0.4 mm.  ;  )  And, yes, it would certainly be much harder to resaw the webbing in half and reglue it together (it would take a mighty big bandsaw as well, and perhaps a brain the size of a tragically undersized walnut - you know, the one that neither team wanted to pick in gym class at the St. Juglans Regia school (despite repeated scoldings by Sister Mary Cinerea))....

> As I mentioned before, this is my first pin block install.  I'm pleased to I'll be working with a block (at this point) that will require the minimum of fussing.

All kidding aside, I'm pretty impressed that you put this much thought and work into your first block.

Since it's your first one, I'll throw out some extremely unsolicited (and quite possibly unnecessary) advice:  drill a lot of test holes and drive and check test pins for a torque value you like before you commit to drilling the actual block.

Even if you go with double-drilling (which I don't at this point, although it seems like a great concept), the particular runout of your drill press combined with the steadiness of your drilling platform (or lack thereof) can definitely cause the same sized bit to create different sized holes.

If you are single-drilling, your feed rate and bit cooling apparatus can similarly cause inconsistencies in hole diameter (probably greater inconsistencies).  I like to drill 15 or 20 "spare" holes in pinblock scrap before drilling the actual "test" holes (which will receive tuning pins from the same batch to be used in the actual piano).  That way, the whole apparatus has a chance to stabilize in its operational zone before the test holes are drilled.  Then, assuming that the test pins were at the proper torque reading and feel, I drill some more "spare" holes in scrap right before drilling the actual block,  to re-stabilize the apparatus.  Otherwise, the first few holes may be inconsistent in size.  I don't unchuck/rechuck the bit between the test session and the actual drilling;  this can also affect runout.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it turns out,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh