[pianotech] Pitch change, etc.

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Apr 8 04:12:02 MDT 2010

My guess is that it is not Delignit.  It's been a while since I have seen a
Seiler, so my eye can't be relied on.  But Delignit has the reddish brown
coloration of beech (which it is made of) and is characterized by prominent
dark glue lines between the lamina.  Hence my "butt ugly" characterization
of it.

Most of the European grands with horizontal laminated bridge caps are white
in color and have barely visible glue lines.  Species of wood I do not know.
Even though Ron says the Delignit bridge capping material is 70 % the
densitiy of the pinblock material, I believe that it is still densified,
meaning that the lamina are crushed into a smaller thickness along with high
heat  in the glue up process.  My experience with the material thus far is
that it is stable and less prone to cracking.  I have been using it to make
new bass bridge caps for vertical repairs, where it is mostly unseen.

Have you used your 9 mm. pinblock grade Delignit cap for such bridge
repairs, Ron?  If so, what is your experience with it?

Will