[pianotech] How NOT to move a grand piano

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 10 22:19:58 MDT 2010

William Truitt wrote:
> " Non-caster wheels offer more stability on an diagonal incline
> and offer a more secure transit in general."
>
> Please support your conclusion that non-caster wheels (straight line wheels)
> offer a more secure transit in general (than a pivoting wheel such as seen
> on a piano dolly)

In my reluctant experience, casters don't. At least they don't
in the direction I want to go at any given time. Having fought
the random directionality of casters way too many times, I'd
not take exception to inline wheels. Seems to me that casters
on one end of the dolly and inline wheels on the other might
be the best of the positive, and the least of the negative.
You could steer (!!!) without lifting (!!!).

!!!
Ron N