[pianotech] How NOT to move a grand piano

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 11 10:29:12 MDT 2010

Well, I've lost the link now, but one of the write ups
mentioned (term?) the tailpiece or some such not clearing on
the way down. I think the photos are out of sequence. Photo2
should be first, showing them setting the dolly by using the
gate to do the lifting. Photo1 would then be second, showing
gate back up and the dolly farther forward under the skid than
the first (photo2). We don't have a photo of the position of
the piano during the lowering process, just the aftermath.
Look where the front of the skid is in the photo with the half
lowered gate. What they are doing in that photo is both
intentional and reasonable.

I can't buy that these guys got caught by surprise by two feet
of the arse end of the piano not clearing the truck when the
gate was lowered. The story is in the photos we don't see.
These were chosen and sequenced by the reporter to juice up
the submission.

Ron N