[pianotech] X-Ratcheting Counter Bearing Shim

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Apr 11 13:09:40 MDT 2010

What I have done before to eliminate ratcheting wires in agraffes is to
replace the wire. I had an idea the last time - or maybe it was someone
on the list :-)  -  Install a shim to alter the termination point on the wire.

I picked up some .017" x 1/4" brass stock to experiment the next
opportunity.  The one on the left is single layer and the right is folded.
I seated them with a punch which caused the curl.

The ratcheting is gone and the tuning is smooth. This would be a quick field
work-around. I would use 3/8" stock and make them neater.

I settled on 1/8 x 1/4" half-round stock. Looks much better. The wire is lifted
with an offset screw driver with a piece of plastic credit card stock
underneath
(a palette knife underneath still marred the plate). No need to let the tension
down, net result 1/4 tone rise in pitch.  I need to install these
throughout the
entire tenor section.

The beauty of this is that it is non-intrusive and keeps a piano tunable
without the need for restringing. A time and money saver which really helps
with a spec piano or an owner with no budget for repairs.

Keep this in your bag of hero-maker tricks. I'm making extras to
carry to tunings!
--

Regards,

Jon Page