[pianotech] X-Ratcheting Counter Bearing Shim

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Apr 11 15:19:31 MDT 2010

>I like it, I have not had a lot of luck with protek on the understring felt.
>You do need to have contact with the felt though or you have some ringing?

I'm halfway down the section and I'm not as impressed as I was at the top end.
I'm having to shim the half-round with the flat brass stock. Shimming
reduces the
pinging more but does not eliminate it.  At least it brings it from
absolutely untuneable
to manageable. I'm inclined to think that a 3/16" half-round instead
of 1/8" might have
a more desirable effect. I'll look into thicker flat brass stock
tomorrow. Of course
if I weren't so lazy, I'd just restring it but then I wouldn't be
having all this fun seeing
just what does or doesn't work.

The jury is still out...
--