[pianotech] X-Ratcheting Counter Bearing Shim

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Apr 14 18:36:12 MDT 2010

 Jon writes:

Well, it worked. Installing the half-rounds pulled whatever pitted wire
away from the agraffe and it tunes smoothly. Another factor is that it
reduced the drag of all the wire contacting the counter bearing felt.

    Ok, this rusted, bent bucket of logic here is rattling in my head. I don't question Jon's procedures lightly!
     How does installing counterbearings change the position of the wire in the agraffe? It would seem,(among that rust, again), that the relative position of the wire in the agraffe is going to be dependent on the pitch the string needs to be, not what happens between the agraffe and the pin.
   I have this little voice in my head saying it was the reduction of drag that made the difference.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT