[pianotech] Disklavier DC installation

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Apr 15 12:58:41 MDT 2010

Barbara,

I think I would still include the rods, even if standby wattage is high.
The system is designed to work with the rods and tank or rods alone.  I
would guess that DC would probably discourage the installation, even in this
instance with no rods (suppose the Disklavier is unplugged for some time).
Even if the wattage is high, the rods would just sit idle more of the time.
No harm done.

And yes, Don, I would never dispute the efficacy of a cover.  WI, USA
climate is similar to yours, though generally not quite as extreme.  RH
ranges easily from 10% or 15% to high 90%'s.  The difference here between no
system and system without a cover of any kind is enough to stabilize to the
point of not having to deal with pitch corrections in most situations.  I've
installed covers as well, and the improvement is measurable, but I'd not
give it a ten-fold increase rating.  In my situation, it often is the
difference between 6 month tunings with pitch corrections and annual tunings
without correcting pitch.  It pays for itself very quickly.  Different
strokes.

William R. Monroe