[pianotech] routine repairs was Re: tool cases

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 15 23:16:40 MDT 2010

This is always a good discussion...Jeanne says she is always reaching for things for all kinds of different needs at a clients piano.   What, for instance, does Jeannie reach for?   I carry a service kit and I have a bigger kit in the car along with string repair kit, etc.   Obviously all kind of things can come up, but really, what are the typical situations you would need to carry tools/supplies along with you?

Tuning kit...that's probably pretty typical
Voicing kit...but what does that consist of?
Regulation kit...I don't carry damper wire bending pliers, except in the 2nd kit (heavy)
Repairs...I carry glues, leather, felt, cloth, etc. in the 2nd kit
Supplies...I don't carry rubber buttons, but should, I carry screws other stuff

Any input?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044