[pianotech] Value of Client List

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Apr 16 01:24:00 MDT 2010

Another thing to consider is how clients will react to having their name sold to another technician who they do not know. If I were to buy a business from someone I would make it contingent on the previous technician sending out a letter to all the active clients explaining the circumstances and also to give me a solid recommendation. Years ago a technician in my area sold his clientele to another technician. Some of the customers hired me after being confused about what was going on with the other business. They resented not being informed. Communication and respect for the clients is key.

Ryan

There are a lot of other factors to take into consideration when purchasing a tuning business. A letter like you describe is one of them. A non-complete clause, a busines phone number, record keeping system, are some other factors.

But what Michael wanted to know is how to place a value on a client list because of a divorce settlement. (I don't know if it is his divorce or not, but that's none of our business). That is why the income (after expenses), derived from that business would be a good starting point.

Wim